• Joe Thornton Community Centre – St. Thomas’ largest facility offers twin professional-sized ice rinks. The main ice surface incorporates stadium and floor level seating for up to 3,500 people. Other features include a combined multi-purpose auditorium/gymnasium with bleacher style seating, event rooms with licensed capacity of 150 to 400 people, and an indoor walking/running track.
• Douglas J. Tarry Sports Complex – This site includes one of southern Ontario’s best baseball tournament complexes with 5 fully illuminated ball diamonds, a parking area, playground, field house, food services and a park/picnic area.
• St. Thomas – Elgin Memorial Arena – multi-purpose, 2,600 seats, ice surface (hockey, skating, etc.) separate auditorium and meeting room(s). Auditorium capacity of 275 persons.
• Jaycees Pool – offers community outdoor recreational swimming and instruction for children from the end of June to the first weekend of September. Site incorporates a 25m. pool and separate diving well.
• Pinafore Park – 90 acres, featuring bird aviary, wildlife sanctuary, children’s play area and splash pad, food concessions, a bandshell, covered pavilions for picnics, memory garden etc., lighted ball park with grandstand, washrooms, dressing rooms, etc.; 20 acres of formal gardens.
• Waterworks Park (W.A. Allan Waterworks Park) – 100 acres, rustic bridges joining flower-lined bridle paths through a network of lily ponds, ornamental gardens, and a unity peace labyrinth. A variety of playground equipment and picnic shelter space is available. 2011 brings the opening of a new water recreation feature – a splash pad for children of all ages.
• Golf Courses & Facilities
– St. Thomas Golf & Country Club – 18 hole (private)
– Iron Creek Country Club – 18 hole (public)
– Kettle Creek Golf & Country Club – 18 hole (semi-private)
– The Bluffs Golf Club – 12 hole (public)
– Redtail Golf Club – 18 hole (private)
– Belmont Golf Club – 18 hole (public)
• TransCanada Hiking Trail – The world’s longest recreational trail winds through Elgin County and St. Thomas. A comprehensive guide to the local route and trail features is available at various community locations.
• Family YMCA Recreation Complex – Full-service community fitness & recreation facility, including a junior Olympic indoor pool. The YMCA completed a $2 million renovation in late 2010 adding a therapy pool, a new fitness area and a child-minding centre.
• Private Clubs – St. Thomas has several private clubs and facilities for fitness, exercise and leisure activities. Consult the Chamber of Commerce for referrals.
• St. Thomas Curling Club – a Members’ club with facilities that may be available for private functions at limited times through the year.
• Baseball, Soccer & Tennis – variety of sites throughout the community.
• Elementary, Secondary School & Church gymnasiums and auditoriums
• Dalewood Conservation Area – 700 acres with camping, hiking/nature trails, canoeing & swimming pool.
• 32 Neighbourhood playgrounds – St. Thomas residents enjoy access to more than 300 acres of parklands & playgrounds; an impressive ratio better than 9.6 acres per 1,000 population.