Overnight Shelter Support
This position may provide support to the Shelter, Day Centre and Pandemic Centre but is primarily to support the overnight shelter. We are seeking individuals willing to work primarily three overnight 10 hour shifts per week; however, a combination of days, evenings and nights may be available, including holidays and weekends.
30 hours/week scheduled, plus additional opportunities for shifts.
Four hour shifts, to 12 hour shifts a possibility. Overtime a possibility.
Approximately 8 month term employment ending January 8, 2022 to align with end date of present shelter location. Potential to become regular ongoing employment at new shelter location.
To assist in the front line in various capacities including screening, intake and orientation of shelter guests, and much more. This energetic, friendly individual will report to the Program Manager (or designate) and is expected to assist in all aspects of the program at Inn Out of the Cold, St. Thomas- Elgin, where assistance is given to individuals experiencing homelessness.
1. Carry out daily operations as needed, including supervision of set-up and take down of site furnishings and light cleaning duties.
2. Provide COVID 19 assessment screening daily to all guests, following provided protocol regarding next steps.
3. Provide education and awareness around social distancing and best practices regarding COVID 19.
4. Provide a reassuring, calm presence.
5. Work in a collaborative way with other staff and agencies providing service to guests.
6. Complete intake, orientation, and discharge of guests. Ensure that guests complete all required paperwork and it is entered quickly and efficiently into computer data base.
7. Ensure that volunteers and guests are aware of the Inn’s rules and expectations. Assist in supervision of on-duty volunteers.
8. Model and actively promote a positive environment, where every individual is treated with courtesy, respect and compassion.
9. Ensure that computer records including case notes and communication log are maintained, reflecting accurate, concise and relevant record keeping in order to promote effective communication between staff and enhance service goals.
Social Service Worker/Community Service Worker diploma or related diploma/degree.
Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills.
Ability to work in high stress environment.
Ability to work with sensitivity, compassion and effectiveness.
Ability to work with diverse populations including individuals with low-income, those struggling acquiring and maintaining stable housing, minorities, and other members of the community.
Ability to complete data entry and reports on computer.
Applications will be considered until suitable candidates have been found.
- ***When applying, please use the subject line: Overnight Shelter Support 30 hours
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $18.00 per hour
To keep our staff as safe as possible, we've provided masks, gloves, shields and hand sanitizer.